Gold Chains for Men Cleaning Tips
Gold chains for men are pretty durable and don’t require a whole lot of maintenance. However, that does not mean that their upkeep should be taken for granted. In order to ensure that your gold chain maintains its dazzling vibrancy, we recommend the following:
- Get a large cup or bowl of warm water
- Add a few drops of washing up liquid and stir gently. Important note: while some gold chains for men can be cleaned with boiling water, we advise that you play it safe and use only warm water
- For even better results add some club soda to the mix
- Soak the chain in the cup for 10-15 minutes
- Using a very soft toothbrush scrub the chain gently. Scrub each link and make sure that you get into the space between the links as well as the clasp
- Rinse the chain under warm running water. Again, make sure that the water is not boiling
- Place the chain on a dry towel and buff it gently, rubbing it in a circular motion
- Then dry it carefully with a cotton cloth
Important note: do not buff or dry your gold chain with paper towels or napkins: they will scratch it.
Silver Chains for Men Cleaning Tips
Silver chains for men require a good bit more maintenance than gold chains. This is mainly due to tarnish.
What is tarnish?
When a silver chain reacts to sulphur-containing substances in the air, a thin layer of corrosion forms called tarnish. This layer will initially be yellow in color but as the tarnish becomes worse, the color changes to brown and finally black. The longer that tarnish remains unchecked, the more difficult is will be to clean.
Removing this tarnish is vital if you want your chain to maintain its vibrant shine. When tarnish becomes visible on your chain, our recommended hand-washing method (see below) may not suffice. The appearance of tarnish on silver chains is natural and there are a multitude of silver polishes that will remove the tarnish. Simply follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
However, your priority should be to keep it clean and never have to worry about tarnish.
Karus Chains simple method for cleaning silver chains for men
- Wash the chain frequently under a warm tap. Use a lemon-free, phosphate-free detergent.
- Use a soft cloth and gently rub the silver. If you are using gloves it is important that you do not wear rubber gloves as rubber corrodes the silver. Instead use nitrile gloves.
- Dry the chain with a soft cloth. It’s important that you do not use paper towels or napkins to dry the chain- they can scratch it.
At Karus Chains, we strongly recommend that you follow our simple cleaning tips about 2 times per year